The Original and #1 Website for Security Guard Training
Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
Welcome to Security Guard Training Headquarters! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin your career as a security guard officer. State specific training requirements, a step-by-step hiring process, potential employers and interviews to help you get hired are just some of the helpful things you'll find here.
To apply for a Special Armed Guard Security Card in the State of New York (which enables you to carry a firearm while on duty as a security guard), you must complete all of the following before you can apply:
- Possess a valid New York State pistol license.
- Take an 8-hour “pre-assignment” training course. If you already possess your Security Guard Registration Card (unarmed), then you have already met this particular requirement.
- Complete an additional 47 hours firearms training course.
Again, all of the above must be completed before applying.
Additionally, every year after you are given a valid Armed Security Guard Card, you will need to complete 8 hours of additional “maintenance” training to keep your registration valid.
For your training, you can contact any of these approved security guard schools in New York (PDF file). The schools on this approved list can be used for the 8 hour pre-assignment training course, as well as your 47 hour firearms training course. You will see which schools have firearm training available in the PDF file above.
The Application Process
The New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services is where you will actually apply for your Armed Security Guard Card after you’ve met all of the requirements.
Along with your application, you will need to submit your fingerprint for your background check. This is done through something called L-1 Enrollment Services, which help you electronically scan your fingerprint, and they’ll give you receipts for proof that you include in your application.
Then, you can use the Employee Statement and Security Guard Employer Application to apply. Be sure to check the “armed security guard” box when you are applying (see below):
You can visit the State of New York Police Firearms – Pistol Permit Bureau website for information about obtaining a New York State Pistol License. The application for the pistol license can be seen on the right hand side of the page.
- New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services
- New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services
- State of New York Police Firearms – Pistol Permit Bureau
Top 10 Security Interview Tips That Will Get You The Job TODAY!
Learn exactly what security
guard employers want to
hear from you!
Download this FREE eBook
now by entering your email
- Best Things to Know About Government Security Jobs
- Airport security jobs
- Why Hospital Security Jobs Are a Great Option
- Cruise Ship Jobs – A Great Opportunity
- A Guide to Bodyguard Jobs and Bodyguard Training
- Wackenhut Security Jobs
- Guardsmark Security Jobs
- Obtaining a Bodyguard Security License in Canada
- Requirements To Nail Security Jobs in Australia
- Body Guard Training and Executive Protection Training – Close Protection Jobs