The Original and #1 Website for Security Guard Training
Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
Welcome to Security Guard Training Headquarters! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin your career as a security guard officer. State specific training requirements, a step-by-step hiring process, potential employers and interviews to help you get hired are just some of the helpful things you'll find here.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a citizen or resident alien of the U.S.
- Pass an FBI background check (with no serious convictions or felonies)
- Submit your fingerprint through L-1 Enrollment Services (more on this below)
- Take an 8-hour “pre-assignment” training course, which you must complete and pass prior to applying to the Department of State for a Security Guard Registration Card.
After you have your registration card in hand, you can then begin work as a security guard. Within the first 90 days after employment, you must complete an additional 16 hours of on-the-job training.
Lastly, every year after that you need to complete 8 hours of additional “maintenance” training to keep your registration valid.
For your security guard training, you can contact any of these approved security guard schools in New York (PDF file). The schools on this approved list can be used for the 8 hour pre-assignment training, your 16 hours of additional on-the-job-training, as well as your annual maintenance training. School fees will apply.
Please note that all classes must be attended live. There are no approved online training schools available in New York, and taking an online course approved for another state does not qualify as well.
The Application Process
The New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services is where you will actually apply for your security guard registration card after your initial 8-hours of training.
Along with your application, you will need to submit your fingerprint for your background check. This is done through something called L-1 Enrollment Services, which help you electronically scan your fingerprint, and they’ll give you receipts for proof that you include in your application.
Then, you can use the Employee Statement and Security Guard Employer Application to apply.
Registration fees will cost:
- $36.00 for Security Guard Registration ($25 for renewal, every two years)
Must be paid via money order, company check, or cashier’s check. No personal checks or credit cards. Checks payable to NYS Department of State.
Fingerprinting fees will cost:
- Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Fee: $75.00
- FBI Fee: $19.25
- Fingerprint Vendor Fee: $11.50
- Total: $105.75
Check, money order or credit card. Checks payable to L-1 Enrollment Services.
Again, after you receive your registration card, you can then begin work as a security guard. Within the first 90 days, you’ll need to complete an additional 16 hours of training.
- New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services
- New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services
Top 10 Security Interview Tips That Will Get You The Job TODAY!
Learn exactly what security
guard employers want to
hear from you!
Download this FREE eBook
now by entering your email
- Best Things to Know About Government Security Jobs
- Airport security jobs
- Why Hospital Security Jobs Are a Great Option
- Cruise Ship Jobs – A Great Opportunity
- A Guide to Bodyguard Jobs and Bodyguard Training
- Wackenhut Security Jobs
- Guardsmark Security Jobs
- Obtaining a Bodyguard Security License in Canada
- Requirements To Nail Security Jobs in Australia
- Body Guard Training and Executive Protection Training – Close Protection Jobs