The Original and #1 Website for Security Guard Training
Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
Welcome to Security Guard Training Headquarters! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin your career as a security guard officer. State specific training requirements, a step-by-step hiring process, potential employers and interviews to help you get hired are just some of the helpful things you'll find here.
To become a security guard in the state of Illinois, the first thing you must do is obtain a PERC Card.
A PERC Card, or Permanent Employee Registration Card, is a card that tells employers in the State of Illinois that you've passed certain background checks through a fingerprint submission process. You will not be able to apply for a security guard position until you get one.
To apply for your PERC Card, you can visit the PERC Card application page on the Division of Professional Regulation website.
Please note that once you obtain your PERC Card, it does not guarantee that you will be hired – it only allows you to start looking for an employer to hire you.
The application instructions and requirements are outlined for you below, although they are also located on the PERC pdf:
- The application must be at least 18 years of age to apply (for an unarmed security guard)
- You must also provide your social security number.
- You will be required to pay a fee of $55.00 (payable to the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation).
- You must attach a photo (instructions on the PDF)
- You must submit the appropriate security clearance documents.
The security clearance documents are obtained by completing the fingerprinting scan process. Again, this is so the state can run a background check for you to make sure you are have not committed any felonies and are allowed to work as a security guard.
You must go through a Livescan Certified Vendor, which there is a list of in the PERC application.
Security Guard Training Requirements
In addition to the PERC card, you will also be required, most likely, to complete 20 hours of security guard training.
You can take these courses at any of the local community colleges or at firms that are certified to provide security guard training.
After you obtain your PERC card, check with your potential employers as to what the exact training requirements may be, in case the specific company requires more.
Top 10 Security Interview Tips That Will Get You The Job TODAY!
Learn exactly what security
guard employers want to
hear from you!
Download this FREE eBook
now by entering your email
- Best Things to Know About Government Security Jobs
- Airport security jobs
- Why Hospital Security Jobs Are a Great Option
- Cruise Ship Jobs – A Great Opportunity
- A Guide to Bodyguard Jobs and Bodyguard Training
- Wackenhut Security Jobs
- Guardsmark Security Jobs
- Obtaining a Bodyguard Security License in Canada
- Requirements To Nail Security Jobs in Australia
- Body Guard Training and Executive Protection Training – Close Protection Jobs