The Original and #1 Website for Security Guard Training
Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
Welcome to Security Guard Training Headquarters! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin your career as a security guard officer. State specific training requirements, a step-by-step hiring process, potential employers and interviews to help you get hired are just some of the helpful things you'll find here.
According to the Delaware Department of Public Safety, an unarmed security guard must be licensed. However, before licensing he or she must also take a certified training course by the state.
Once all requirements are met, the license is administered by the Delaware Department of Public Safety. The license is good for two years and must be valid while employed. To keep license current, yearly courses must be completed.
Basic requirements for applying for an unarmed security guard license:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be hired by a licensed company
- Drug testing (which may be ongoing)
- Complete background check and finger prints
- Must be a United States citizen or registered resident alien (provide proof that you are legally able to work in the US)
- No felony convictions or any crime involving the illegal use of weapons (that includes violent misdemeanors and assault lll or offensive touching in the last three years)
- Must complete a 16 hour certified training course by the state of Delaware before applying for license. Form to be signed by instructor as proof.
Other Requirements that May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License
- Good physical conditioning
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Good Communication skills
Basic training curriculum may include but not limited to the following subjects:
- Role of Private Security
- Legal Aspects
- Patrol and Observation
- Incident Response
- Security Resources: Surveillance operation and documentation
- Customer Service Issues: Working with and addressing the public
- First Aid Overview
Application fee is $69 and not refundable and there is a $20 identification card fee required once your application is approved.
Once you have successfully completed the certified course, you can apply for your license as unarmed security guard by calling (302) 672-5304 to set up an appointment.
For more information, please visit the Delaware State Police Department.
Top 10 Security Interview Tips
Learn exactly what security
guard employers want to
hear from you!
Download this FREE eBook
now by entering your email
- 4 Study Tips for Your Security Guard Test
- Tips for Security Guards That Want to Ask for a Raise
- Fight or Flight – What Does it Mean for a Security Guard
- Manage Your Online Reputation in Preparation for a Security Guard Job
- Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard
- Life Insurance for Security Guards
- How to Write a Detailed Incident Report
- Security Guard Users Taser and Fans Raise Money for New Equipment
- How to Handle Yourself as a Security Guard Under Pressure
- How to be a Respected Security Guard