The Original and #1 Website for Security Guard Training
Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
Welcome to Security Guard Training Headquarters! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin your career as a security guard officer. State specific training requirements, a step-by-step hiring process, potential employers and interviews to help you get hired are just some of the helpful things you'll find here.
In Pennsylvania, getting an armed security guard’s license means filing a petition with the County Clerk’s office. It is up to the judge as to who is approved for a security guard license. The process is rather detailed. The County Clerk’s office is limited to the questions they can answer about this process and recommends that an attorney be retained for such matters.
Basic requirements to submit petition for armed security guards in Pennsylvania:
Must file a petition with the following attachments:
- Passport photos (2)
- Letters from character witnesses pointing out your good moral character
- Certified proof of criminal background check
- Fingerprint card with fee (this card must be submitted to the County Clerk’s office with a money order that will be mailed to the Pennsylvania State police)
Statewide requirements that may be helpful in getting your petition approved:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Mentally competent
- Have good moral character
- No drug or alcohol use or dependence
- No felony convictions
- No disabilities that would prevent performance of duty
- Proof of weapons training and experience
In Pennsylvania, there are no set rules as to the type of training or experience required. It is ultimately up to the judge. However, the more experience and training that you can prove should help your chances of having your petition approved. Other states require that you show proof of weapons training by submitting your training certificate and if you have this type of proof, you would submit it with your petition so that the judge has updated information to make a decision.
Fees are nonrefundable:
Fingerprint card: $17.50 (money order must be made out to the Pennsylvania State Police)
License: $200 (This fee is paid only if petition is approved)
For more information, please read Promulgation of Local Rules of Civil Procedure; No. 6513 CV 2005 or call the Pennsylvania County Clerk’s office at 570-517-3387.
Search for security guard training company in your area!
Top 10 Security Interview Tips
Learn exactly what security
guard employers want to
hear from you!
Download this FREE eBook
now by entering your email
- Which Security Guard Test Study Method is Right for You?
- 4 Study Tips for Your Security Guard Test
- Tips for Security Guards That Want to Ask for a Raise
- Fight or Flight – What Does it Mean for a Security Guard
- Manage Your Online Reputation in Preparation for a Security Guard Job
- Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard
- Life Insurance for Security Guards
- How to Write a Detailed Incident Report
- Security Guard Users Taser and Fans Raise Money for New Equipment
- How to Handle Yourself as a Security Guard Under Pressure